Kala Utsav is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), to promote arts in education by nurturing and showcasing the artistic talent of school students at the secondary stage in the country. In the context of education of Arts (Music, Theatre, Dance, Visual Arts and Crafts), the initiative is guided by the recommendations of the National Focus Group Position Paper (No. 1.7) on Arts, Music, Dance and Theatre for National Curriculum Framework 2005 (NCF- 2005), and by the report of the Central Advisory Board on Education (CABE) Sub-committee on Integration of Culture Education in the School Curriculum. Samagra Shiksha scheme recognizes the importance of aesthetics and artistic experiences for secondary level students, which play a major role in creating awareness of India’s rich cultural heritage and its vibrant diversity.
- Kala Utsav will enhance the life-skills of the participants and prepare them as carriers of culture. Children are the seeds of the future and therefore our schools will become the laboratory of tomorrow’s India. Kala Utsav will help in identifying and understanding diverse tangible and intangible cultural expressions.
- Kala Utsav is not a onetime activity but the beginning of a complete process of identifying exploring, understanding, practicing, evolving and showcasing the artistic experience. Once part of the process, the participants will not just perform pieces from their living traditions only, rather they will live that cultural experience while documenting 'online art project' as part of their Kala Utsav entry.
- The participation in the e-projects for Kala Utsav would involve exploration of multiple resources for researching and documenting. This in turn would promote team work and collaboration rather than relying on individual means or resources.
- Sharing the stage collectively by boys, girls, students from disadvantaged groups and students with special needs will be a precursor in breaking many existing stereotypes.
- Students with special needs will find an added opportunity to express their hidden talents through this initiative. This will further provide them an opportunity to share the limelight with their abled counterparts and the hidden talents of these students will surface from grassroots to the national level. Their participation would initiate a multiplier effect and will serve as a source of inspiration for others to follow later.
A tradition of using arts in the process of learning: The narrative tradition shows us the creative expansion from the individual to the community, which contributes towards the overall development of the society. Further it is requested by MHRD to conduct competitions in four Art forms viz. Music, Dance, Theatre, and Visual Arts (Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, Crafts) at School, District level and State level
I. Achievements during 2019-20:
In Mizoram, District Level Competition for the participation in National Level Kala Utsav, 2019 was conducted during the month of October, 2019 in the respective 8 districts of the state in four (4) disciplines namely:
- Solo Music -Vocal (Male & Female)
- Solo Music - Instrumental (Male & Female)
- Solo - Dance (Male & Female)
- Painting (Male & Female)
8 students and 2 teachers from Mizoram participated at the National Level KALA UTSAV 2019 which was held during 2nd – 5th January, 2020 at Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
II. ACHIEVEMENTS during 2020-21:
Kala Utsav 2020 was organized in the online mode due to the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic and the social distancing norms. The following 9 art forms were included for the competition:
- Vocal Music- Classical (Male & Female)
- Vocal Music- Traditional Folk (Male & Female)
- Instrumental Music- Classical (Male & Female)
- Instrumental Music- Traditional Folk (Male & Female)
- Dance- Classical (Male & Female)
- Dance- Folk (Male & Female)
- Visual Arts (2- dimensional)- Male & female
- Visual Arts (3- dimensional)- Male & Female
- Indegenous Toys & Games- Male & Female
STATE LEVEL KALA UTSAV 2020:
State Level Competition for the participation in National Level Kala Utsav, 2019 was conducted through online on 15th December, 2020 and 13 students were selected to participate in the National Level Kala Utsav 2020.
NATIONAL LEVEL KALA UTSAV 2020:
Mizoram has won 2nd Prize in Indigenous Toys & Games (Male) in the National Level Kala Utsav 2020 which was conducted online during 11th -22nd January, 2021.